Cauliflower cooks much faster than potatoes, and this dish can be cooked and on your table in a total of 15 minutes.
The following recipe will feed as a side dish, 5 people maybe six.
- 1 medium to large head of cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp. of cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh ground pepper
- Clean the head of cauliflower and cut into small pieces.
- In a large pot of boiling water cook the cauliflower until it is soft enough to mash.
- While the cauliflower is cooking shred the cheddar cheese. (I used old cheddar)
- Drain the cauliflower and mash.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of cream cheese, then fold in the cheddar cheese until it has melted.
- Add fresh ground pepper and serve.
Last night I'd just finished preparing this dish and my husband comes into the kitchen asking what I'd just made, pointing to the cauliflower. I said, Mashed potatoes. He then says to me, Who did you make mashed potatoes for, I can't eat them. When I told him that it was cauliflower he said, OH ... okay, with a bit of a strange look on his face. Once he tasted the cauliflower he said, Wow is this ever good, I think I like this better than mashed potatoes. This coming from a man that could have eaten mashed potatoes every single night (before starting a low carb diet) was quite a compliment.