Thursday, February 7, 2013

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Cookies


Healthy Cookies for your Dog  baked with Love
Photo by Susan Zutautas




I was up at five today and remembered that Maggie and Bruce were almost out of the last batch of dog cookies that I made them a week ago. So today I thought it best to make a double batch. This recipe is almost exactly the same as the last one I posted except that instead of mashed bananas I used pumpkin.  I didn't have any fresh pumpkin so I used canned. I found it great to work with and the color of the cookies came out quite nice.

Again these are wheat free, so if your dog has an allergy to wheat these are the cookies to make him or her.

Ingredients Needed


  • 3 cups of brown rice flour
  • 1 cup of oatmeal
  • 1/2 cup of flax seed meal 
  • 2 cups of pumpkin puree 
  • 1 cup of smooth peanut butter
  • 2 tbs. of liquid honey


Instructions


  1. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F.
  2. Lightly grease a baking sheet or place a piece of parchment paper onto a baking sheet.
  3. In a medium size bowl mix the brown rice flour together with the oatmeal and flax seed meal.
  4. \In another bowl beat together the pumpkin, peanut butter and honey.
  5. Add and mix the ingredients in both bowls together.
  6. Roll out the dough on a floured surface, cut into cookie shapes, place on baking sheet, and pop into the oven for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and let the cookies and oven cool off.

I found that by leaving the cookies in the oven for several hours after they've been baked they get harder than if you cool them on the counter.

Cookies can be frozen for up to 5 or 6 months, refrigerated for up to 3 weeks, or kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 or 5 days. 



For more of my dog cookie and treat recipes please follow the links below.

Homemade Dog Treats

For dogs that are not allergic to wheat: Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Dog Treats

Thanks for visiting and I hope your dog enjoys these as much as mine do.


2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Now if only there were a way to adapt it for cats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! I do know that pumpkin is incredibly good for dogs and cats, too. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any comments or questions you may have. Thank you so much. Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...