Friday, February 20, 2015

Compassion from a Newfoundland Dog

Sage a Newfoundland Dog and Skye a Leonberger 
Sage
Both photo's Used with permission from Glenna Stephens



Working at a breeding/boarding/grooming kennel, one day I was cleaning the pens. The dogs could hear the vacuum going and most of them went out into their runs so that I could easily get into their pens to clean. (The regulars that is)

The Newfoundland dogs shared several pens and had very large heavy beds made of wood. Sage stayed back rather than go outside to keep me company. 

As I lifted her bed it slipped and hit my finger. I tried hard not to yell out but she felt my pain. I couldn't believe how much compassion this dog showed me as she came right over to me, snuggled up to my leg and wouldn't leave my side. Showing her my finger she tried to lick to pain away. Sage would not leave me until she knew that I’d calmed down enough to finish my task at hand.

Sage and I had created a bond together after that, and every day she saw me she was always happy to see me. I would give her some extra attention whenever possible. She was always by my side while I was in her pen or outside with her.

One day Gail Bishop, (may she be resting in peace) the owner of Orovale Kennels said to me, “How would you like to buy Sage from me? She’s getting on in years and I’d love to see her living with you.”

Of course I was ecstatic and said to Gail, “Well I’ll have to discuss it with Al first, since we do have 2 Newfs already.”

After talking with Al, he said let’s introduce them all together and see how they get along.

I thought long and hard about bringing another dog into the family. Even though I loved Saige with all my heart I had to decline Gail’s offer. Three Newfoundland dogs would be too hard and time consuming. I didn't think I would be able to give all three the attention they would need. It was a very hard decision to make as I am such a dog lover.

I've regretted my decision ever since, and every time I think of her. The compassion she showed me is something that will stay with me forever.




Today February 20th, 2015 is United Nations World Day of Social Justice. Join bloggers from all over the world today to speak and write about compassion. Share your story with all of us and link up here. 

Join the Facebook group 1000 Voices Speak for Compassion


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave any comments or questions you may have. Thank you so much. Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...