Saturday, February 23, 2013

Bacon and Cabbage Recipe


Bacon and Cabbage



I'm getting geared up for St. Patrick's Day, and this year I want to make a traditional Irish meal which is cabbage and bacon. I didn't have any back bacon and thought okay well let's try it out with regular bacon slices. Most people think that the traditional meal for St. Patrick's Day is corn beef and cabbage. Apparently this is a North American traditional meal. One day I was talking to a friend online who lives in Ireland and she told me that on St. Paddy's Day they feast on bacon and cabbage.

A blogger that I follow, +Natasha Hoover over at Diary of a Plague Year , had posted an article about boiled bacon. I do boil bacon when making a few Lithuanian dishes but Natasha's post came to mind, while thinking about how to make the following bacon and cabbage dish.

Here is my recipe:

Ingredients

  • 1 pound of bacon (1 pkg.) of sliced bacon cut into pieces.
  • 1 medium size head of cabbage chopped 
  • 2 medium onions sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves chopped
  • fresh ground pepper




Instructions

  1. Place the bacon in a large pot or dutch oven and cover with water. Bring the bacon to a boil and cook for approximately 20 minutes. 
  2. Add the sliced onion and chopped garlic and stir. Continue to cook for another ten minutes.
  3. Add and stir in the chopped cabbage.
  4. Season with fresh ground pepper.
  5. Cover and continue to cook over low-medium heat stirring occasionally for approximately another 20 minutes or until cabbage is cooked and wilted. 
  6. Drain and serve. ENJOY!


You can either eat this as a side dish or all alone. This recipe will serve 6-7 people as a main dish.
We are a family of 5 and all of this went in one meal. I served a side salad along with the bacon and cabbage.



4 comments:

  1. Oh I could easily eat myself sick on this! Add some Irish Soda Bread and I'd be in heaven. :) Ok and maybe a bowl of Guinness Beef Stew. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrye, Irish soda bread and Guinness stew too ..... ah now that would be heavenly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that looks WONDERFUL! I love cabbage and cooked like this just looks too yummy!! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any comments or questions you may have. Thank you so much. Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...