Thursday, February 28, 2013

Cabbage Rolls a Low Carb Recipe




Normally I would make my cabbage rolls with rice, but because I am following a low carbohydrate diet I've omitted the rice. To be honest with you I prefer them this way.

The following recipe makes 18 large cabbage rolls. If you're not needing this many simply cut the recipe in half. I always make way more than we will eat and I freeze the rest.



Ingredients 

  • 1 very large head of cabbage
  • 2 pounds of ground beef
  • 2 pounds of ground pork
  • 2 cups of chopped onions
  • 3 large eggs
  • 6 large cloves of garlic (less if you like or more)
  • marjoram 
  • fresh ground pepper
  • Worcestershire Sauce
  • For the sauce you will need:
  • 1 large can of tomato sauce
  • 1 large can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic chopped

Instructions

  1. Insert a knife into the core of the cabbage and try to cut out as much of the core as possible without disturbing the leaves.
  2. Place the head of cabbage in a very large pot of boiling water and let it boil for at least ten minutes.
  3. While you're waiting start on the filling.
  4. In a large bowl combine the meat, onions,garlic,spices and Worcestershire sauce. Add the eggs and mix really well.
  5. Remove the cabbage from the pot and let it cool long enough so that you can start to gently peel the leaves off.
  6. Set the leaves on a plate until you're ready to stuff them.
  7. You'll get to a point where the leaves are harder to peel off so at this point you put the cabbage back into the water to continue to boil. I have a spaghetti pot with an insert that works perfectly for preparing the cabbage. Repeat this process until you have 18 or 20 leaves.
  8. In a saucepan add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, small chopped onion and 2 cloves of chopped garlic. Stir and let the sauce heat on low while stuffing the cabbage leaves. Stir every once in awhile.
  9. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
  10. Spray a large roasting pan with vegetable oil. (I do this for easier cleanup) 
  11. In the bottom of the roasting pan place extra cabbage leaves or pieces that you have left from the unused head.
  12. In the center of each leaf place a good amount of the meat mixture. You may need to cut away some of the stem to roll each leaf. Roll and place in the roasting pan seam down. (Some people use toothpicks but I find that the rolls steam together and don't fall apart)
  13. Once all of your cabbage rolls are made and in the roasting pan pour the sauce over the top.
  14. Cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil and place into the oven for one hour.
  15. Uncover and reduce the oven temperature to 250 and continue to bake for another hour.
  16. Remove from the oven and let the cabbage rolls cool for at least ten minutes.
  17. Serve and ENJOY!


All rolled and ready for sauce




Ready to go into the oven



A few items to help you along the way.




Thanks for visiting and I hope that you enjoy the recipe.

5 comments:

  1. Yummy!! You're really good with the cabbage recipes! :D
    also, I have an "award" waiting for you over at my blog, LOL. Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, the dish looks delish.

    Was wondering if you could give me a substitute for meat as filling.

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made some of these but didn't like the recipe. I think I will love yours! The only problem with mine was the gravy you made to go with - gagged me! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cyndi, I've been making a lot of dishes with cabbage lately. Thanks for the award!

    Ruchira, Not sure what would go well in cabbage rolls other than a meat filling but if I come up with something I'll be sure to let you know.

    Kelly, I used to put brown sugar in the sauce but tried it without and I like it much better this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep! That's your typical cabbage roll recipe. Can't go wrong.  ツ

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any comments or questions you may have. Thank you so much. Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...