Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Apple Pear Sauce Recipe

I hate to waste anything, especially when it comes to food. When making a pork roast often I will make a homemade apple sauce to go along with the meal. Last week I'd noticed a few pears in the fruit drawer of the refrigerator were starting to look a bit peek-id. Rather than see them go to waste I experimented with them and a few apples. .

Here is my recipe for Apple Pear Sauce.


Great as a dessert or to accompany meat

Ingredients

  • 3 pears pitted and peeled (combo of Bartlett & Japanese Pears)
  • 3 apples pitted and peeled (I used Honey Crisp apples)
  • lemon juice (I used the lemon juice from the little plastic lemons)
Instructions
  1. Once your fruit is peeled, pitted and sliced toss it in a bowl with some lemon juice.
  2. Place ingredients into a medium size sauce pan and cook over a medium heat until the fruit is soft enough to easily mash.
  3. Remove from heat and place in a bowl to serve.
  4. Sauce can be served hot or cold.

I find that no sugar is needed as the natural sweetness from the fruit is sweet enough for me. However if wanted you could add 1/8th - 1/4 cup of sugar.

Great to serve alongside a pork roast or to eat as is for a dessert. I find I like this apple pear sauce on top of oatmeal as well for breakfast.

http://just-ask-susan.hubpages.com/hub/Sunday-Dinner-Pork-Roast-With-Roasted-Potatoes
Pork Loin Roast Sunday Dinner


This Cuisinart saucepan is one of my favorite pans, especially for making applesauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave any comments or questions you may have. Thank you so much. Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...