Thursday, March 28, 2013

Low Carb Diet



If you've tried a lot of diets that have not worked for you, I highly recommend considering a low carb diet. In the past I've tried watching and cutting down on calories, and have followed the Slim-fast diet plan. If you don't stick with it you eventually gain the weight back and then possibly even more. I've finally discovered that weight loss is a life-style change. Let's just hope I stick to it this time :).

I'm not following any specific diet but am happy to say that as I approach almost the end of the six week mark I've lost a total of 14 pounds. Considering my age, my lack of exercise, and sitting in front of a computer all day long, I feel I'm doing pretty good.



So what foods have I cut back on or totally cut out?

  • White potatoes 
  • Rice
  • Pasta
  • Most breads
  • Unhealthy snacks and desserts
If anyone had of said to me that I'd be able to cut bread out of my diet I would have told them they were nuts.  The only time that I do eat bread is when I make my own low-carb breads. 


What I do eat.
I eat small portions of food throughout the day. My breakfast usually consists of a hard boiled egg or a piece of fruit. Once a week I may make myself a two egg omelette.
For a mid morning snack, and only if I'm hungry I'll eat a piece of fruit or 1/4 cup of unsalted sunflower seeds.
Lunchtime will consist of either a small avocado with tomato slices, a few slices of cheese along with a small portion of meat.
Planning dinner at my house can be a bit of a challenge as I currently have my 3 sons living with me. My husband is easy as we are both following the low carbohydrate plan. Meat is always on the menu along with 2 vegetable dishes and a salad. I still cook potatoes and rice for my sons, and try to get in some pasta for them as well throughout the week.
It is hard to please everyone all of the time, but I try.
For a snack at night sometime I'll have air popped popcorn with a dribble of extra virgin olive oil, and a light shake of sea salt.

Do I crave foods that I used to eat?
Of course I do. When someone is making toast and I smell it .... I want it. But I talk myself out of it by thinking about how hard I'm working on changing not only the way I eat, but the weight I've already lost.

Do I ever cheat and give into higher carbohydrate foods?
If I said no I'd be lying. Every once in awhile yes I do. But like the saying goes "The key is moderation." If I eat pasta I make sure that it's about a 1/4 size portion of what I used to eat. If having pizza it will be a thin crust pizza, and I'll only have one slice.
One night we were celebrating my sons girlfriend birthday and I had bought her a double chocolate cake. I love chocolate cake! I took a small sliver to be polite of course :)  ... You know what, I didn't enjoy it at all. The sweetness of it mad me think I was going to be sick. It's like when you haven't had McDonald's french fries for a couple of months and when you do, you can't seem to get that grease taste off of the roof of your mouth.

Tips for Dieting

  • Go on a diet with another family member or a friend. Supporting each other really works well.
  • Drink lots of water.
  • Drink water before a meal and you'll find that you'll be full sooner.
  • Eat slow and chew all your food really well.
  • Having a horrendous craving? Try drinking a cup of green tea. Eat a piece of fruit rather than a chocolate or chips. A small slice of cheese helps me whenever I have a craving.
  • Cut sugar out of your coffee or tea. If you can't use a sugar substitute such as Stevia.
  • If you are a beer drinker (I am), choose a light beer or better yet a low carb beer.
  • Try to omit all pop or soda.
  • Avoid processed foods.
  • Read labels when grocery shopping. 
  • Exercise is good. (I really should get more of it)
  • Don't starve yourself. Eat smaller portions throughout the day.

Have you tried a low-carb diet, and if so have you had success with it? Please let me know as I'd love to hear from you. 

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!








1 comment:

  1. I am going to share this with my mom - she is on a low carb diet right now. Everytime we eat out we have to go somewhere that will "work" with the low carb thing:) lol

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any comments or questions you may have. Thank you so much. Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...