Monday, April 1, 2013

Ham with Pineapple

I don't know why I have such a mental block when it comes to buying pineapple for ham, but I do. This Easter luckily I remembered on Saturday that I hadn't picked up the canned pineapple slices. My husband was going to the store so I asked him to get a can.

Sunday afternoon I start to prepare the ham to go into the oven and I grab the can of pineapple. Pineapple Tidbits! What the heck am I going to do with tidbits? Whats wrong?, asks hubby. I show him and he says, Well the picture on the can shows slices. All I kept thinking was, Geez this is going to take  a lot of toothpicks.

Ham with Pineapple Tidbits.
Time to improvise. I cooked the ham, and just before taking it out of the oven I heated up the tidbits
with a small amount of the pineapple juice in a saucepan. Normally I make a glaze with Dijon mustard and brown sugar, but since there was enough sweetness in the pineapple juice I omitted the brown sugar and stirred in 3 tablespoons of Dijon mustard. I brought this to a boil and when I removed the ham from the oven I poured the tidbit mixture over the ham. Then I let the ham sit for about 15 minutes before slicing.

Dinner turned out and everyone enjoyed.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE HAM AND PINEAPPLE!! OMG - those two things together are heaven. Pineapple and ham pizza? OH YES! Pineapple and ham casserole? Yep. And this pineapple ham dish you made looks wonderful, even if they are tidbits. Eh, now you'll have a story and a new recipe to share. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always forget Pinapple too! And I love it. This year I did have a Pinapple upside down cupcake that my sister in law made...so delicious...I didn't even think to get one slice of pineapple to go with my ham. Dam! Lol

    Don't let me forget next year, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cyndi, Hawaiian Pizza! Now you have me craving one :) Pineapple and ham casserole ... mmmm sounds good. Have never had it but I'm sure I'd love it.

    Kelly, You just reminded me of pineapple upside down cake. I haven't made one in years. I'll be sure to remind you next year :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any comments or questions you may have. Thank you so much. Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...