Friday, September 5, 2014

Why I Write

A Sunday drive
Huntsville, Ontario



Why I Write

From the time I was a little girl I've always wanted to be a writer. In kindergarten I would come home and head straight to my room to play writer. Getting out a pad and a “Golden Book”, I would copy the words from the book onto my pad.

Adults around me would always say that I had a wonderful imagination. I could make up stories and have people believing them in no time at all.

English was my favorite subject throughout school. I was fortunate to be able to take an entire semester on Edgar Allan Poe, and another on Science Fiction writing.

Somewhere buried deep in my basement there’s a box with all my short stories and poems I wrote in school and early adulthood. On my bucket list there’s a notation to find said box one of these days when I have nothing else to do.

I spent six months in Haileybury, Ontario. For those of you that don’t know where this is, it is in Northern Ontario and during the winter months it can get quite cold. Not chilly but cold. Many mornings I would wake up to 40 below zero weather. While I lived there I wrote my first published poem. The editor of the local newspaper there was encouraging people to send in poetry. I did, and much to my surprise it was in the paper that same week.

I find writing is a good way to release frustration, show love, and explain myself. You see when I was growing up I found it much easier to write my step mother a letter when I was unhappy with her. If I were to talk to her rather than write, I would end up crying my eyes out and she wouldn't be able to understand me.

There’s not a day that goes by where I don’t write. It is my passion to write and that is Why I Write.


This post is part of an ongoing challenge from +Charli Mills over at Carrot Ranch. +Ruchira Khanna at +abracabadra passed this challenge over to me. If I understand correctly I am to pass the baton onto three other writers that I admire and follow. So without further adieu I am passing this onto +Eli Pacheco, +Dyanne Dillon  and +Yvonne Spence.


Eli Pacheco is a former sportswriter turned copy writer. More importantly, he became a dad, then a coach - and by those things, found his way back to writing from the heart. An enigma in so many ways, as a Latino and a conservative, a foodie and a diabetic and a minimalist with a hoarding problem, Eli chronicles the life of a dad and soccer coach in his blog, Coach Daddy

Eli was named a BlogHer Voice of the year in 2014 and also has 37 fourth-place ribbons from elementary school track and field day, a record that will never be broken. 

Eli also has a novel stuck between his ears that his calendar won't let come out and an unfinished book about the NFL in the 1970s. If he used the characters from his 3,300 tweets to craft his book endeavors, maybe he'd be on your best-seller's list and not on CiCi's Pizza's 10 most wanted list.


Dyanne Dillon is an 11 year old trapped inside a 50-something year old body. She is a wife to one, a mother to two (a fifteen year old girl and a nineteen year old boy) and by all indications is a 2 year breast cancer survivor.

Dyanne lives in southwest Missouri and teaches pre-kindergarten part time. She has a B.S. in Elementary Education from Missouri State University, and while she would do anything in front of a bunch of 4 year olds, she would rather have hemorrhoid surgery than speak in front of a group of adults (and yes, she HAS had hemorrhoid surgery and, therefore, knows of which she speaks). 

She is a co-host of the weekly blog hop Ten Things of Thankful and an A to Z Challenge survivor. You can find her at iwantbacksies.blogspot.com. You can also follow her on twitter @yanneda, but you will probably be wasting your time, as she has never quite made it over the top of that learning curve.


Yvonne Spence’s short stories have been published in anthologies, and her novel Drawings in Sand is on Kindle. She has an MA (with Distinction) in Creative Writing. She started studying for this when her first daughter was a baby and took a break after her second daughter came along 3 months prematurely. Writing fitted around the kids then, and, now that they are teenagers, they write too. Yvonne loves writing fiction that goes deep into the core of what it means to be human, and she loves writing non-fiction that supports others in some way. She doesn’t much like writing author bios though! She lives in the UK with her husband, two daughters and two cats. 
Yvonne blogs about writing at http://yvonnespence.com/ and about mindfulness and parenting at http://inquiringparent.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave any comments or questions you may have. Thank you so much. Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...