Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Hummus - Not the Traditional Type

Never having hummus before I decided it was time to try it. I've been reading so many different and delicious ways to make this spread, dip, appetizer, filling. When I actually went to make this yesterday I winged it and used Helman's Mayonnaise in it. It was pretty good, and I really have nothing to compare it to since I've never before eaten it. 

I started with chickpeas in my mini food processor blending them. I then added 2 cloves of chopped garlic and a few good squirts of lemon juice. Blended that all up and thought it wasn't the consistency that I wanted so I went to the fridge to see if I had any sour cream. Sadly I was out of sour cream and thought okay well let's try mayonnaise. I added about 1/4 cup of mayo and then had a taste. I felt it wasn't zippy enough and needed something else. Into the spice cupboard I went and I found the perfect accompaniment .... salsa chilpotle sauce. I added about six dashes of it and had another taste. Satisfied with the taste I got out some crackers and spread the hummus onto the crackers. Yum!

If you do try my recipe, please come back and let me know what you thought of it.


Recipe for Hummus

Ingredients 

1 can of chickpeas
2 cloves of garlic chopped (add more for a stronger garlic taste)
1/4 cup of Helman's Mayonnaise (or your mayo of choice)
1 tbs. of lemon juice
4-6 dashes of chipolte sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)

Instructions 

Blend everything really well in a food processor. 


  • Spread on crackers 
  • Use in a pita
  • Spread on a tortilla shell
  • Use as a dip for veggies


ENJOY!

If you have any leftovers be sure to store in an air tight container. Hummus can be refrigerated for up to three days.

2 comments:

Please feel free to leave any comments or questions you may have. Thank you so much. Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...